2009-02-19

why I chose the X5 laser over the laser comb

 I have been asked if the laser I purchased was the Hairmax laser comb.  It is not the same laser.  The laser I have is the x5 laser by Spencer Forrest.  I chose this one over the laser comb for a few reasons.  I researched the laser comb and compared it to the x5.  The laser comb was given FDA approval/clearance to sell only to men.  The laser comb has been marketed for women also, but the FDA has just now blocked them.  That annoyed me because the makers never tested the laser comb on women, but they're trying to sell it to us.  That's why the FDA restricted them from saying that it will work on women's hairloss--because they never tested it for female-pattern hairloss!  Also, I'm assuming because they were given FDA clearance, the laser comb costs twice as much as the x5 laser.  The x5 laser is sold by a company I recognize as a hairstylist (they make Toppix hairfibers and many other familiar accessories/treatments.)  I found the x5 laser on the Spencer Forrest website, but purchased it from amazon.com because it was cheaper.  It has a 6-month guarantee--which is good because it takes at least 4 months to see new hair growth.  The x5 laser uses the same laser power as the laser comb (650 nanometers), but claims to have more diodes (laser points) than the laser comb.  I found it to be easy to use and quite comforting.  

I got my test results today.  I was tested for iron, thyroid, insulin, cholesterol and FSH hormones.  I was happy to see that my cholesterol was much lower (from 227 to 174) than last testing two years ago (I've been working very hard on my diet and exercise!)  And my insulin was normal at 85 (diabetes runs in the family.)  I was disappointed, however, that my iron, thyroid and FSH were labeled "unremarkable" or normal.  I was hoping for a cause for my hairloss, since it doesn't seem to be hereditary.  But now that I've read some of the comments on here (such as my iron should be above 70 for hair growth), I wonder if my doctor is wrong in her diagnosis.  My iron level is only 44.  I'm considering taking these results to my naturopath for a second opinion.  The doctor did the tests during a gyno annual visit and is a conventional, Western doctor.  I've had problems before with their diagnoses and treatments.  I always feel like I need my naturopath as a backup...

 I also purchased a Verilux light box--and found it cheaper on amazon.com.  Living in the Northwest, I've read that vitamin D deficiency is pretty common here.  Also, being a hairstylist, I have never seen so many skin and scalp problems and alot of hair thinning in women.  I think the wet climate and the lack of sunlight may be a contributor.  Also, the pH of the city water in and around Seattle is very high (alkaline) at 7.6.  Hair and skin is best with an acid environment (at 4.5 to 5.5.)  I tell every client to avoid bathing and shampooing every day because the alkalinity of the water.  Alkaline is what is used in color,perms and relaxers to open the cuticle of the hairshaft and transform the shade or shape of the hair.  It is also drying and strips natural oils from the skin and hair.  So, I avoid bathing on a daily basis.  There are many good quality dry shampoos, powder deodorants, and wet wipes that can be used on the days I don't shower.  My skin and scalp is definitely in better condition than many people around here who bath every day.  Northwesterners not only bathe too much, they also are addicted to tanning beds.  The problem is that they are very dangerous (much more UVA/UVB than natural sunlight and cancer-causing) and they DO NOT provide vitamin D.  Only a light box (which many doctors recommend) can provide vitamin D.  I think there may be something to this--I never had thinning hair and scalp issues before I moved to the Northwest.

I received my x5 laser in the mail and have been using it consistently for one week.  I stopped all use of Nioxin, Nizoral and anything topical that may interfere with my experiment.  (I am still taking my vits/mins and hair supplements.)  I have not had any shedding this week!  Not at all.  I was going through a pretty bad shedding phase prior to using the laser.  I like using it--it's like a heated massage 15 min. at a time, three days a week.  It's made by Spencer Forrest, but I found it a bit cheaper on amazon.com.  It's the same company that makes Toppix.  I'm trying that, too, and I like it.  The laser has a guarantee of six months.  With any hair growth product, you shouldn't expect noticeable results for at least four months, so the six month guarantee is a good thing.  I'm excited to see even better results in the months ahead!       

 

No comments:

Post a Comment